Molecular Diagnostic Kits
The detection and quantification methods that are usually used in microbiology are based on phenotypic characters, and mainly include the culture isolation, the immunological tests and the study of metabolic characteristics.
Despite its many advantages, this type of methodologies presents a series of drawbacks, among which are:
- Very long time to results
- No viable but non-culturable cells are detected
- Low specificity
- Results in many ambiguous cases
The development of molecular biology, and in particular the technique of nucleic acids amplification by the polymerase chain reaction (PCR), has revolutionized all fields of science in which nucleic acids are being worked on, and of course the microbiological diagnosis.
The PCR technique is presented as a very effective alternative to conventional methods, since it is characterized by:
- Sensitivity and specificity.
- Cellular quantification by “real-time” PCR (qPCR).
- Detection of viable cells through RNA study or the use of intercalating agents such as ethidium monoazide (EMA) and propidium monoazide (PMA).
The main difficulty encountered by quality control laboratories in the implementation of molecular diagnostic techniques is the realization of the correct design and validation of the detection systems.
For this reason, ielab has a line of rapid molecular diagnostic kits that facilitate its routine use in the laboratory.
1. Kits for detection/quantification of microorganisms by qPCR (Legionella pneumophila and Legionella spp.), in a freeze-dried format, that enables a shelf life of two years, stored in a refrigerator.
2. Sample preparation kits to perform Legionella by PCR (concentration kits, DNA extraction kits for clean and dirty waters).
3. Quantitative reference material for Legionella pneumophila and Legionella spp. (BACuanti-DNA and BACuanti-PCR).
All these kits and reference materials are extremely simple to use and can be used by an analyst without a wide knowledge in molecular biology. They are provided with instructions and a fast user guide.
All kits are manufactured under strict quality norms that assure it’s working, and results according to the product specifications.
Kits for the quantitative or qualitative detection of microorganisms by PCR. These kits are characterized by their being extremely easy to use. They come with a detailed manual, and a quick user guide. They include the corresponding positive and negative controls.
Their design incorporates specific positive internal controls which allow the evaluation of the appearance of false negatives due to the presence of PCR reaction inhibitors in the sample.