The detection and quantification methods that are commonly used in microbiology are based on phenotypic characters, and amongst these the isolation in culture, the immunological tests and the study of metabolic characteristics emphasize.
In spite of its multiple advantages, these kinds of methodologies present a series of disadvantages, amongst these emphasize:
- Very long time to obtain results
- Viable non-cultivable cells are not detected
- Low specificity
- In many cases ambiguous results
The molecular biology development, and in particular the nucleic acid amplification technique by polymerase chain reaction (PCR), has transformed all the science fields in which nucleic acids is worked with and of course in microbiological diagnosis.
The PCR technique appears as a very effective alternative, opposite to the conventional methods, since it is characterized for:
- Extremely fast
- Highly sensitive and specific
- Cellular quantification by "real time" PCR (qPCR)
- Detection of viable cells by RNA study, or usage of intercalating agents, such as ethidium monoazide (EMA) or propidium monoazide (PMA).
The main difficulty that quality control laboratories find in the implementation of the molecular diagnosis techniques is the accomplishment of the correct design and validation of the detection systems.
For this reason a line of molecular diagnosis express kits has been developed to make easier their regular use in the laboratory.
ielab offers the following Kits:
1. Kits for detection/quantification of microorganisms by qPCR (Legionella pneumophila and Legionella spp.), in a freeze-dried format, that enables a shelf life of two years, stored in a refrigerator.
2. Sample preparation kits to perform Legionella by PCR (concentration kits, DNA extraction kits for clean and dirty waters).
3. Quantitative reference material for Legionella pneumophila and Legionella spp. (BACuanti-DNA and BACuanti-PCR).
All these kits and reference materials are extremely simple to use and can be used by an analyst without a wide knowledge in molecular biology. They are provided with instructions and a fast user guide.
All kits are manufactured under strict quality norms that assure it’s working, and results according to the product specifications.
Kits for the quantitative or qualitative detection of microorganisms by PCR. These kits are characterized by their being extremely easy to use. They come with a detailed manual, and a quick user guide. They include the corresponding positive and negative controls.
Their design incorporates specific positive internal controls which allow the evaluation of the appearance of false negatives due to the presence of PCR reaction inhibitors in the sample.